Renovating your old apartment?

Folks@PropTalk Folks@PropTalk

Renovating your old apartment?

This arose from a previous post in our main blog. At the suggestion from one of our dear friend (EQ), we had moved the discussion to our forum. Unfortunately, we deleted the original thread by mistake so here is it again. Please free feel to contribute to the list!

<ul>Renovation - Things to note:</ul>

1.    If your apartment is more than 10 years old, it may be a good idea to replace all electrical wirings - these are likely to have deteriorated with age.

2.    For older apartments, you should also think about replacing all iron pipes with PVC ones, as the former are likely to corrode with age - It is definitely less of a hassle (and probably less costly too) to do so when you are renovating your apartment than having to replace the pipes after, e.g. when leakages occur (imagine: sewage pipe).

3.    Again for older apartments, you may want to redo the "water-proofing" of the floors in your toilets and even kitchen - this will reduce the chance of water seepage to the apartment downstairs and having to pay for the repairs.

4.    Try to minimize the hacking of walls if you can - Should you need to rebuilt these in the future, you are likely to get ugly hair-line cracks on the newly erected walls after awhile. This is especially prevalent along the edges between the existing and new walls.

5.    If you must hack off some walls/beams, please make doubly sure that these are not structural walls/beams - we know this may sound obvious to most, but some of you may recall the incident in Jurong East some years ago where residents of a block of HDB flat have to be temporarily evacuated. This was because some smart alack had decided to hack off part of a structural wall in his unit, causing structural instability to the whole block!

6.    Before you start replacing your existing air-cons with higher BTU ones or increase the number of air-con units, do ensure that you have enough power in your apartment to support these – You certainly do not want to cause a power overload in your home.

7.    Another point about air-cons - Do not place the condenser on the external wall of your bedroom if possible. This is unless you find the constant "tapping" of raindrops on the metal surface of the condenser smoothing whenever it rains...

8.    When working with a contractor, do ensure that all renovation costs are already factored into the original quotation. And should there be any additional work that needs done, make sure that you mutually agree and are fully aware of the extra cost to be incurred – Imagine our shock when one of our previous contractor came to us with an additional bill for $20K after the renovation was completed, supposedly for items that he had omitted in his original costing.

9.    Lay the conduit pipe and cable points in advance of OpenNet installation - this will minimize the amount of ugly external trunking that needs to be run within your apartment.

10.  And speaking of OpenNet, if you intend to install the OpenNet point in a concealed space (e.g. the wall behind your cable TV boxes/DVD within the TV console), please ensure you leave sufficient "height" within the space as the OpenNet box is rather large. If not, you may end up having to drill a hole through your console so that they can install the box outside - this we realised to our detriment!

Happy Renovating!

Click below to read our original post:
http://sgproptalk.blogspot.com/2011/07/renovating-your-old-apartment.html